Friday, April 24, 2015

REFLECTION

THE CALL TO BE SHEPHERDS
José Mario Nieto

This Sunday’s gospel talks about Jesus the Good Shepherd (Jn 10:11-18). We are very familiar with this image of Jesus. We have seen plenty of drawings in churches and others places of Jesus carrying a sheep on his shoulders. This image that seems delicate and adorable reflects a profound reality that entails a lot of effort and a constant care from the shepherd.

During the summer of 2013, I had the great opportunity of making my second trip to Holy Land. During my stay there I came to know people who worked as shepherds. They explained to us the difficulty of being a shepherd nowadays. The most difficult thing, they said, is to make the sheep hear their voices amidst all the noise that the busy city has. Even on the mountains some sounds can make the sheep nervous, because they are very sensitive to sharp and loud noises. In order to make the sheep recognize the voice of the shepherd and become familiarized with it, he has to take the sheep on his shoulders and sing or talk for a period of time while walking and carrying the weight of the sheep around. The shepherd will do that with those sheep that have a hard time following him or those who are less domesticated.

At the end of the day, the shepherd will be very tired and, of course, smell like the sheep. This is precisely the characteristic that Pope Francis mentioned two years ago in one of his homilies regarding what a good shepherd is. “This I ask you: be shepherds, with the ‘odor of the sheep’, make it real, as shepherds among your flock,” he famously said to priests during Holy Thursday.  Although he was speaking directly to priests, I wonder: Aren’t we all called to be shepherds? Aren’t we all called to take care of those around each of us?

Do you remember Cain’s answer to God’s when He questions him about his brother Abel; am I my brother’s keeper? Well, yes, we are! We are our bother and sister’s keepers. Therefore we are all called to “shepherd” those in need, to the point of “smelling” like them. As imitators of Jesus the Good Shepherd, we should ask ourselves: how do I take care of my brothers and sisters? And how much effort do I put in leading them to a safe place with Jesus? Am I willing to carry those who are in need even when this requires giving up my time and pleasures?

I hope this image of the Good Shepherd becomes an incentive for all of us, to follow Jesus and lead also others to Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment